Saturday

Oh Chrstmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

Since my brother passed away 16 years ago, Christmas has been hard. After he passed away, my parents and I would go to Mexico during the Holiday to just "be together". No hassle with finding the right gift for someone, no cleaning, no cooking; just enjoying each other.

When I got married, I tried really hard to embrace the holiday spirit, but it was still lost. I went through the motions. Wishing that everyone would just "be together". Having visions of everyone at a ski resort or on the beach laughing and hanging out for a few days. No cleaning the house or dishes to be washed. I enjoy the food and company, but the gift giving is so hard.

I am lucky that all holidays are spent with both parents at ONE event. We do not have to eat 3 meals at 3 houses. Commander's family is all in the state and my parents are always involved. I am sad that I never see my parents side of the family- but the distance makes it harder to celebrate with them.

Having my own children has really helped me to see the brightness that I once felt at this time of year. The build up of the BIG day. My kids are now old enough to remember how to sing the Christmas songs. We sing a funny version of Jingle Bells.

Jingle Bells,
Batman smells,
Robin laid an egg,
Bat mobile lost a wheel
and Joker got away
Hay

Jingle Bells,
Daddy smells,
Momma laid an egg,
The van lost a wheel
and the **** (our last name) boys got away
Hay


**** Moose came up with second versus on his own. We were all driving home and he sung that. Commander and I started laughing so hard.

Three heads Xmas

I thought this was a funny picture. It looks like a three headed monster.

So far this holiday season, one of my favorite things is watching Bear turning on the tree lights every morning. It's his thing. I never asked him to do it, but it's the first thing he does when he comes down the stairs. It took me a couple of mornings to realize who was turning on the lights. I often find him sitting on the chair next to the tree just looking at it. Wow, how great is that.

I still have visions of all the whole family (15+) of us getting away for a few days. But now it includes sending a letter to Santa to have him bring the kids gifts to our get away.

Oh Christmas Tree

13 comments:

Lulu and Co. December 21, 2008 at 5:57 PM  

Oh so sweet Bear turning on the lights and enjoying the lights. Kids are so amazing this time of year.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas with your adorable family. That picture is too cute.

Anonymous December 21, 2008 at 10:04 PM  

There is so much magic in the holidays for children! I can't wait for my first "real" xmas with a child who is old enough to know what it's about!
Those shots are so beautiful...the tones and everything...how did you do it?! I couldn't get even one good shot of the kiddo near the tree.

Christina December 22, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

I love the "three headed" monster picture! What sweet boys. Your own personal version of Jingle Bells is hilarious. I'm glad you've found ways to make Christmas your own and enjoy family togetherness at a tough time.

Jen December 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

I just don't know how you get all your boys to look at you and smile. I love the three headed monster comment. How cute!

carissa... brown eyed fox December 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

a REALLY CUTE "three headed monster"! :)

you sure are making new... very special memories with your family!

those pictures have a magic all their own... the lighting is perfect!

Kimberly December 22, 2008 at 9:19 PM  

I love that last photo. There's just something so homey and comforting about photos of kids around a lit tree. I hope this Christmas is a wonderful one for you all.

Kristina December 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM  

I love the pics of your precious family. I glad the boys are able to bring a new sense of hope to the holidays after such a devastating loss.

Julie December 26, 2008 at 9:47 PM  

Love the holiday pictures in front of the tree. They show such innocence and spirit in their faces!

Anonymous December 27, 2008 at 12:42 PM  

I love his version of the song! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

Cara December 29, 2008 at 7:24 PM  

That's the most handsome three headed monster I have ever seen!

Mitzi December 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM  

A three headed Christmas monster! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. That's my favorite version of Jingle Bells!

Jaimee January 2, 2009 at 11:51 PM  

The picture of the three headed monster is awesome...all three boys looking at you and smiling!!!!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas...children have a way of reminding us of the beauty of it, don't they?

Kasey January 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

What great pictures. Love the quality. I like the pic of your boys. So cute.

Land of K.A.

Mother May I

red BSM button

Shutter Sisiters

Photobucket

About Me

My photo
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened." -Cora Harvey Armstrong-

Flickr

www.flickr.com

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP