Tuesday

Soap Box Derby

I am so long over due in posting these pictures. This was defiantly one of my highlights of the summer. The dad's of the our cul-de-sac decided to have a soap box derby race. All the dad's and the kids had to make the car. No specific rules- just build together. Oh our team was over the moon. We were not the first one's done by any measure or the last. I went to the local ReSource yard and looked for wood and wheels. I found a some wagon wheels (2.00$) of some sort and an old staircase part (free......oh oh oh). I told my parents what we were doing and my mom thought she had some really old soap box wheels. Well she did. One rusted out pair and a really GOOD pair. So my guys started to build.

Be warned for picture overload....................
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
You gotta love the look on there faces. We had NO idea that the car would go that fast. Can you see NO helmets- what cRaZy bad parents we were- but seriously we thought it would barely go. Plus there is NO brakes for them to stop that car at this point. Well I don't think we put any on, now that I think of it.

Photobucket

Photobucket


This picture cracks me up every time I see it.
Photobucket

Ready for RACE DAY----- 4th of July afternoon
(not to self- have race on a non busy weekend- I co-hosted a community/subdivision party that morning and was a part of the BIG cul-de-sac/neighborhood party that evening)

4 teams Who know how many children......................
Photobucket

Photobucket
I felt like I missed them go by I was laughing and smiling so hard

AND THE WINNER IS......................
Photobucket
My guys......... yah yah yah oh yah................

The dad's of course had their turn.
Photobucket

We already have plans for next year. We are thinking of opening it up to more neighbors and maybe having different age groups? The possibilities are endless. Even if it is just our cul-de-sac in the race, we will all have just as much FUN

5 comments:

hipMomma-MelodyA. January 18, 2011 at 6:16 AM  

Oh my goodness. My Hubs would be all over that! What a fantastic idea. Not just the culmination but the process. What a great bonding activity. I would be terrified but I know the kids musta had a blast.

jmross January 18, 2011 at 8:35 AM  

LOve it... Pretty sure we couldn't built anything like that-we are so not handy. But call us next time my kids would love to cheer!

connie January 18, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

What fun!!! Love the photos of the process. Great activity for the boys and the big boys... :-)

Stacy January 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM  

That looks SO fun! What a great male bonding activity and fun for the kids. I think it needs to be an annual event, too. I bet those cars get more elaborate the more experience they get in making them.

Jen January 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM  

That looks like so much fun. Love that your guys won.

Land of K.A.

Mother May I

red BSM button

Shutter Sisiters

Photobucket

About Me

My photo
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened." -Cora Harvey Armstrong-

Flickr

www.flickr.com

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP